Monday, February 11, 2013

Sliiiiiiiiimmmmmmme!

I love me some Pinterest. It's like crack for anyone even remotely crafty. And look what I stumbled upon; GLOW IN THE DARK SLIME!  While I'm not completely sold on the idea of my preschooler playing with goo in the dark I couldn't deny it sounded kind of awesome. Besides, we are planning a superhero birthday party and what could be more perfect than glowing slime? So after two trips to Walmart (because apparently Borax is in high demand) we had everything we needed to do a trial run.

Here is the original recipe, but I altered it a bit.

Ingredients:
4 oz Clear glue
1 cup warm water
Neon Green Glow Paint
2 teaspoons Borax
1/3 cup warm water

Mix together the glue and one cup of warm water.  The container of glue I had was 5 oz, so I just kinda eyed it. Then we added the Glow paint.  This is the part I changed up a bit and I'm terrible at measuring, but we used about 2 tablespoons of the paint.  I really like recipes that don't need to be exact. :) In another small bowl we mixed the Borax and the 1/3 cup water and stirred until it was pretty well blended. Add the Borax mixture a little at a time to the glue mixture.  It will firm up quickly and you probably won't need all of the Borax. It really depends on how runny you want it.  Since I'm dealing with two under four here, we made it pretty firm.

This literally took 3 minutes to make and hardly any mess. Two big plusses in my book. It looks and feels just like old school Gak and I was half tempted to teach the kids how to make farting noises. Ahhhh, memories.


The kids loved it. N thought we needed to get out the playdough tools. His wish is my command.


 No Daddy's were hurt in the making of this slime.


I stored it in some cheapy containers. A week later and it's still good. 
So simple, so fun. You know you wanna.


2 comments:

  1. How FUN! Are you doing this as favors for your party? Kids will LOVE it! I think I'll make some with Ainsley and Kolton...

    Teresa J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely making it as a favor. You should, the kids played with it for almost an hour.

    ReplyDelete