Sunday, February 17, 2013

Spring Feva'

It was beautiful here in good ol' Kansas today. Which means I'm itching for Spring to get its butt in gear. Like now. Daddy and Papa took Little Man on a hike by the lake this morning. Followed by lunch at the grandparents' and some quality time outside. It's incredible what a little sunshine will do for a girl.

Inspired and feeling kinda rejuvenated by those nice, warm rays we finished a couple projects we've been meaning to get to. The main one being to start seeds for our garden. Last year was our first year trying out our green thumbs and we discovered it was something we really enjoyed. What can I say? We're old at heart. We bought most of our plants last summer, but it got a bit pricey, so this year we decided to start everything from seed. Little problem, though. We have a toddler who demolishes EVERYTHING. We affectionately call her Babyzilla. So where to put all of our plants? The windowsills are right within the reach of tiny, destructive hands and none of our counter space gets enough light. I came up with the idea to build some temporary shelves in our living room windows. Something we could take down when we were ready to transplant outside. Turns out no idea I ever have is original. After a doing a bit of Google research I found I'm not the first to come up with this nifty plan. Ah, well. Here's our version.






   Nothing fancy, just some scrap wood the hubster had. By the way, have a mentioned how cute he looks when he builds things for me? I digress....






After all that planting, we started dinner. On the grill of course in honor of the gorgeous weather. I had to share this recipe I got off Pinterest. We could have easily thrown these on the grill with the chicken, but we got a late start so I used the oven. Super yummy. I can't wait to use our own fresh veggies! 1-2 zucchini 6-8 carrots Olive oil Seasoning (I used Mccormick's Perfect Pinch Vegetable because that stuff is like gold from Heaven) Slice your veggies about 3 inches long and 1/2 an inch thick. Throw them in a bowl or gallon bag and toss with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and your seasoning. You can be pretty generous with the seasoning. Spread out your veggies on a cookie sheet. I lined mine with parchment paper first. Bake at 425 until everything is tender (about 30 minutes). I thought we had way too many for our family of four, but they were so good we ate them all!


2 comments:

  1. The shelf is a brilliant idea! Last year I put them in my 'craft room' on a table, because it was the only place in our house with enough light. I totally forgot they were in there and they shriveled right up lol!

    And those veggies? Look delicious

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shelf was a lot easier than I expected it to be. It literally took him five minutes and cost nothing. I kind of like it there, so I might have him pretty it up a bit and make it permanent.

      And they were!

      Delete