Friday, April 12, 2013

PVC Sand Table

Our (and by our, I mean my husband's) latest project was a sand table.  I hate, hate, hate the mess that sand makes.  I understand the sensory learning and hours of creativity it provides, but there's just something about a sandbox that tells kids to hop on in and cover themselves from head to toe.  Ick.  As much as my kiddos loved our sandbox, I often found myself telling them to find something else because I dreaded the cleanup and inevitable vacuuming that would follow.
So I spent a few hours researching and scouring the web for a good sand table....What did people do before the Internet?  Unfortunately I wasn't sold on the idea of spending $60 plus dollars on one.  What can I say? I'm a cheapskate at heart.  Plus I came across some pretty clever homemade sand tables using PVC pipe or boards. I showed them to the hubster who did a fine job faking enthusiasm and figured out a plan of his own.  

Here's a list of materials:

2 storage containers (you could use any size or even just one. I liked the idea of them each having their own side)
Sand
6 pieces of 1 inch pvc pipe
4 1 inch T's
8 1 inch corner fittings
4 bungee cords
1 super handy person such as your handsome husband to do all the work
2 beers to motivate said person :)



Here's a visual.  I'm sure your handy person can figure this out!


The tubs sit right on top. The sand weighs them down so they fit into the frame. Super handy, because now we can just pop the lids on when we're finished and no more sandy bottoms and feet!

And now for the trial run.  I think they were satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment