Saturday, April 6, 2013

So. Much. Stuff.

When we moved into our house, we had one trailer and one car that held all of our treasured belongings.  We didn't have enough furniture to fill the rooms, our walls were bare, and my mental honey-do list probably took up several pages.
Five years, two kids, and one room addition later and things have changed a bit. The honey-do list hasn't gotten much shorter (my poor, over-worked husband), but the rooms have definitely filled up and I'm running out of space to hang pictures. How does that happen? I've tried to sell bigger things on those Facebook sale/swap pages and I diligently take the kids clothing to consignment every season.  Still I'm left with half a dozen storage tubs and bags full of.....Stuff.
So as much as I dreaded the thought of having a garage sale, here I am.  I've spent countless hours, sorting and pricing and sneaking toys away from unsuspecting children.  You always forget how long it takes to set one up until you are there, knee deep in clothes and covered in stray price tags.
High chair's gone, glider's gone, crib's gone, baby monitor's gone.  I'm slightly sad to watch the last of our baby stuff go, but I have to keep reminding myself there will be lots of  fun "big kid" stuff to fill that space. And lots and lots of memories. 
All in all I am glad, glad, glad  I decided to do this.  Slowly the stuff is disappearing and I've earned almost enough to pay for our half of a four day resort vacation this summer. Mmmmm....Long days on the lake, hiking, bike trails, and grilling with the family. As I sit here in the still chilly morning, that sounds a lot better than Stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment