Monday, March 4, 2013

The Grass is Always Greener

It probably wouldn't surprise anyone to know that teaching third graders was a stressful and challenging job. I loved planning fun and engaging lesson plans, witnessing that moment when something just clicks, being such an important part of my students' life.  I really loved the people I worked with and well, talking to adults.  I didn't even mind all the paperwork and red tape that goes along with the job.  It was frustrating and satisfying at the same time.
But my to-do list was never finished. I always came home tired with barely enough energy to make dinner and play with my son.  There were always full laundry baskets and a toilet in need of a good cleaning.  By four o'clock my patience was worn thin. I felt like I was spending all my time raising other peoples' kids.
So anyone who's never been a stay at home mom would think life would be simpler after I quit. Well, it is....And it isn't.
I love seeing all of my children's milestones and never missing the quirky things they do and say. I love being the center of their little universes. I love sneaking in afternoon naps and cuddling with them when they're sick. I love teaching them and I love the things they teach me.  I know all these things are fleeting.
But my to-do list is never finished. I'm always tired after making home-cooked meals and building forts all day.  There is always laundry to do and toilets that need scrubbed.  Sometimes I miss having adult interaction and taking showers by myself.  By five o'clock, I'm waiting at the front door to pass off a cranky toddler to Daddy. Don't tell anyone, but I wear sweatpants and forget to brush my hair more often than not.
Who knew being a stay at home mom would be just as taxing as teaching a room full of nine year olds? Not me. I may have even uttered the words, "I would be sooooo bored staying at home". HA! But I honestly think it's something you can't understand until you've walked a mile in a SAHM's shoes....or pink, fuzzy socks in my case.
I guess I can just count myself lucky to have had two of the most rewarding jobs in the world.
Now if someone could just please give me one of those yearly evaluations that are so important in the teaching world.  A pat on the back or some constructive criticism wouldn't hurt. I mean, these are MY kids I'm messing up.



1 comment:

  1. Ain't that the truth. Although I'd never switch back to working full time over being a SAHM. But eventually I'll have to go back :-( lol

    ReplyDelete